Your time at the University of Iowa will require you to build on old skills, such as effective study strategies and strong time-management skills, while you develop new ones. After listening to feedback from our current transfer student population, we know that the transition from your previous institution to the University of Iowa can be a big leap. Remember, the material itself may be more challenging. Be sure to seek out resources for academic support!
There is a big section of information about academic resources on your Orientation flash drive, as well as on this site.
The University of Iowa is made up of 11 colleges, six of which are made up primarily of undergraduate students. Most first-year students enroll in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Engineering. The Colleges of Business and Nursing admit highly qualified first-year students directly, others after they’ve completed a year or more of course work.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)—BA degrees are offered in almost all of the college’s disciplines, including several of the science disciplines. Most BA degree majors require fewer than 50 semester hours (s.h.) in the major field.
- Bachelor of Science (BS)—BS degrees generally require more mathematics and science course work than do BA degrees.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA)—The Department of Dance and the School of Art and Art History offer BFA options for some students. These degree programs permit students to focus more of their time and semester hours on performance/studio work.
- Bachelor of Music (BM)—The School of Music offers not only a BA degree but also a BM degree, an intensive degree similar to the BFA, since students take more semester hours of performance than those in the BA program.
- Bachelor of Liberal Studies (BLS)—CLAS offers a BLS degree to students whose circumstances prevent them from attending college as a full-time, on-campus student.
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Chaden Djalali, Dean
240 Schaeffer Hall
Students admitted to the Tippie College of Business choose from among six majors and earn a Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree.
You can also review the new transfer page on the TCOB website specifically for business and pre-business transfer students. It can be accessed through http://tippie.uiowa.edu/undergraduate/, or go directly to the transfer page at http://tippie.uiowa.edu/undergraduate/admissions/transfer.cfm
Tippie College of Business
Sarah Gardial, Dean
Students admitted to the College of Engineering choose from among six majors and earn a Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BSE) degree.
College of Engineering
Alec Scranton, Dean
3100 Seamans Center for the
Engineering Arts and Sciences
Students admitted to the College of Nursing earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
College of Nursing
Rita A. Frantz, Dean
101 Nursing Building
Students are admitted to the College of Pharmacy after at least two years of pre-pharmacy study. Students then complete four years of study in the College of Pharmacy to earn a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree.
College of Pharmacy
Donald Letendre, Dean
118 Pharmacy Building
Students admitted to the College of Education earn a degree from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences but can obtain certification for licensure in teacher education from the College of Education.
College of Education
Margaret Crocco, Dean
N459 Lindquist Center