Changing Majors


If the requirements for your chosen major or academic program change after you have declared a major or program, you will not be required to complete the new requirements. Your degree audit will reflect the requirements that were in place when you declared your major or program. Students who wish to change their degree audits to reflect the new requirements should contact Graduation Analysis (1 Jessup Hall). Whenever a major or academic program is revised, the new requirements appear in the next edition of the General Catalog.

You must declare a major by the time you earn 72 semester hours. If you have not done so by the time you have earned 72 s.h., you will not be permitted to register for additional coursework until you have declared a major. Colleges makes very limited exceptions to this rule. Transfer students entering with 72 or more semester hours, may be given individual exemptions by the College which are noted at the time of admission.

Keep in mind that advising codes such pre-business, a nursing interest, or pre-medicine, for example, are not majors but an indication of your interest in a professional field in order for you to receive advising about this area of interest. Students who have declared at least one major by the time they have earned 72 semester hours may still keep an "interest" or “pre-” designation in order to receive advising from an expert in this field of study.

Some majors are selective and have limited enrollment, requiring an application and acceptance by the program before you may declare the major. Be sure to talk to your advisor to find out more about the application process so that you have been accepted into a major or declared another major before you have earned 72 semester hours.

Declaring your intention to complete a certificate
Declaring or changing a minor
View rules about maximum credit hours from one department
View graduation requirements