Declaring a Minor


Minors are another optional addition to a degree. A minor may relate directly to your major(s) or may reflect your interest in an area entirely different and separate from your major(s). Minors require have fewer requirements than majors or certificates. Some minors are interdisciplinary, drawing on courses from a number of different departments and programs, while others are offered by a single department or program. When a single department offers more than one minor, you may earn more than one minor from that department.

To declare or change a minor, go to the student records page in ISIS. Declaring a minor in ISIS will trigger a degree audit for that minor, which will be available on ISIS once requested and your screen refreshed. To view your minor(s) at any time, select Degree Audit from the Courses & Grades list on the Student Records page.

If you have already earned a degree but are not currently enrolled in a graduate or professional program, you may return to earn a minor (consult Admissions).

For a list of minors offered see:

Each academic unit offering a minor determines the specific requirements for that minor. For these requirements, contact the department or program or visit the General Catalog. To inquire about transfer coursework or credit by examination, contact the department or program offering the minor.

When considering a minor, please note these important policies:

  • A degree may not include a major and a minor in the same area (e.g., you cannot earn a BS in psychology with a minor in psychology).
  • A degree may not include two minors in the same area.
  • A degree may not include a minor and a certificate in the same area.
  • The fact that ISIS allows you to declare a particular minor does not mean that it is valid with your major (see rules above).
  • If you declare a minor, and then declare or change your major, it is possible for your minor to become invalid if it violates one of the rules above. (For example, if you declare a minor in English and later declare English as a major, your minor in English will become invalid.)
  • Candidates for the BLS degree are not eligible to earn minors, but they may earn certificates.
  • If the requirements for a minor change after you have declared it, you will not be held to the new requirements. The degree audit is based on the requirements in place when a student declares any given academic program.
  • You may use the same courses to complete majors, minors, and certificates, and to complete the General Education Program. However, departments and programs may limit “multiple counting” for their own majors, minors, and certificates. Students should check with an advisor and with the department or program offering the minor before planning a course of study.
  • You must earn a grade point average of at least 2.00 in all work attempted as part of the minor.
  • No course taken pass/non-pass may be used as part of a minor. Courses graded S/F may be used at the discretion of the offering department or program.

In order for your minor to be officially included on your official record (transcript), you must

  • Review your degree audit with your advisor or with the department or program offering the minor to make sure that you have completed all the requirements
  • File a degree application on ISIS, indicating that you have completed a minor.